Sunday, March 22, 2009

Activity

Well here is another of the love letters. I decided to post twice today. Again, the goal and point behind these is to have something to pass on to my kids in the future. For now, I'm sharing these things with you dear readers.

Between the ages of 5 and 10 what was your favorite activity?

Well, I guess that I had a few favorite activities in that time span. Here are a few of them I will tell you about.

Saturday Morning Cartoons- Man back when I was between 5 and 10 there were some great cartoons that came on. I remember that I was very willing to get up as early as possible to start watching these shows. One of my favorite ones was the Super Friends. This was a great show that had all kinds of superheros like Superman, Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. These were the original episodes. After a few years they expanded the show and added some characters, like Apache Chief, and Green Arrow. They also added the Legion of Doom. There was also Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends as well as the Incredible Hulk. These were some of my favorite shows. There were of course others that I really liked on Saturday mornings.

Weekday cartoons- During this time of my life there were also cartoons that came on in the afternoons that I watched all the time. Early on the favorite was Scooby-Doo. As I got older, there was G.I. Joe, and the Transformers. There was also He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. One of my favorite things was to watch the cartoons and then go out and play like I was one of the people from the cartoon. There was also the morning when The Bozo Show was on and they would show a segment of either G.I. Joe or Transformers every morning before school. It was great.

Playing with G.I. Joes and Transformers- Man we had tons of these things. The G.I. Joes were 3 1/4" figures and they were the greatest toys every made for kids. They had all kinds of places where they would bend and twist. On top of that they were army figures and that was all kinds of fun to set up adventures for. The Transformers were cool too, seeing as how they would go from being a car, or a jet to being a robot...how cool is that?

Playing "guns"- Man there was a time when me and all my friends would get together and just play guns. We all had toy guns and we would more or less divide up into teams and run around playing like we were in the Army or were cops of something like that. It was one of the most fun things that we ever did. It was just good times.

Riding Bikes- We would do this all the time. Myself, and James and Justin and Derrick, and Bryan. We would ride up and down the street of Pecan Grove and just hang out. There was a large mound of dirt behind my house, affectionately known as "the dirt hill" and we would go over there with our bikes and ride over it and try to jump it. One of our favorite things though was to find old boards and to set up ramps. We would build them as high as we dared (about 6" to 2 feet) and then we would ride from far enough back to feel like we were gathering a good amount of speed and jump the ramp. We did this over and over, even when we busted it on the street.

Playing football and baseball- Living in a trailer park in Midland was fun. There was rarely any time that we lacked an empty lot to play in. We would find one of the lots and we would play football or baseball. It was fun, but it did lead to some competition issues at times. It was good times on a regular basis.

I guess that those are some of my favorite activities when I was between the ages of 5 and 10. Those were great times in my life and I have very fond memories of those days. Peace and Love y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment